Re: Unacceptable size increase to ALL live images in F28: Noto CJK Fonts

Adam Williamson wrote:
> AIUI, this means it really only works for simplified Chinese users
> (which means, approximately, mainland China; other Chinese-speaking
> territories tend to use traditional Chinese).

AIUI, WQY MicroHei actually tries to cover the traditional-only,
Japanese-only or Korean-only glyphs, too. According to
http://wenq.org/wqy2/index.cgi?action=browse&id=Home&lang=en they cover the
whole GBK set and 80% of CJK Extension A. According to
http://wenq.org/wqy2/index.cgi?MicroHei_BigBang_README the 2009 release
claimed support for 99% of Japanese, 100% of Korean, and 99% of Traditional
Chinese.

The main issue, as I was told, is those CJK Unified codepoints that are
normally rendered/drawn differently in the different countries, but were
unified into a single Unicode codepoint. I was told by the experts that WQY
MicorHei (like all WQY fonts) only contains one rendering (the Simplified
Chinese one) for those, and Wikipedia confirms it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WenQuanYi#Glyph

So in short, if you point it to Traditional Chinese, Japanese or Korean
text, you should see SOME glyph for each character in the text. (I tested it
on the KDE Live image some time ago and I did not get the feared black
boxes.) But that glyph is not necessarily what a speaker of those languages
expects to see and might in some cases be hard or impossible for them to
read.

What also speaks against WQY MicroHei is that there has been no release
since 2009.

The one thing that speaks for it is size: it is only ~4 MiB xz-compressed,
whereas a typical font for any single CJK language (which may or may not
have the same limited support as described above for the other 3 languages;
often, there are no characters at all for the unsupported languages) is
20+ MiB xz-compressed. At the time where the decision to ship it on the KDE
Spin was made, the choice was between WQY MicroHei or no CJK support at all.

        Kevin Kofler