Re: F28 Self Contained Change: Stop building 389-ds-base on i686

On 03/28/2018 12:29 AM, John Reiser wrote:
> On 03/27/2018 14:17 UTC, Jan Kurik wrote:
>> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Stop building 389-ds-base on i686 =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/389-ds-base-remove-686
>>

>> Owner(s):
>>    * Mark Reynolds <mreynolds at redhat dot com>
>>

>> 389-ds-base does not work properly on i686 hardware in regards to
>> atomic types.
>
> Please cite a technical description of the problem,
> such as a bugzilla report, blog post, etc.
> I'll believe it does not work, but I want to try to understand _why_.
The engineer who did "all" the work on this has just left Red Hat
unexpectedly, and with him goes all the details on this issue.  This is
very unfortunate timing, and it is quite frustrating.

All I know is that this a real problem for us that only occurs on i686.
The previous DS engineer who worked on this insisted it's a bug in i686
arch, while the glibc team insisted it's a bug in our code.  Anyway here
we are.  We know that i686 fails in our tests consistently while on
other architectures it does not.  We can not back out the atomic work
because it's needed to address several issues in our server.  It also
does not make sense to back it out for a one-off architecture that is
not used downstream or by our customers.  So... I understand that there
is a major lack of detail in this case, and if it's insufficient to
officially exclude i686 then so be it.  But in that case is there way to
flag those i686 builds as "use at your risk/unstable"?