Re: Unacceptable size increase to ALL live images in F28: Noto CJK Fonts

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 22:37:12 +0200, you wrote:

>The one thing that speaks for it is size: it is only ~4 MiB xz-compressed,
>whereas a typical font for any single CJK language (which may or may not
>have the same limited support as described above for the other 3 languages;
>often, there are no characters at all for the unsupported languages) is
>20+ MiB xz-compressed. At the time where the decision to ship it on the KDE
>Spin was made, the choice was between WQY MicroHei or no CJK support at all.

I think looking into size increases is useful, if for no other reason
than to ensure mistakes don't get overlooked.

But I also think worrying about an artificial size limit, a limit that
made sense in the past, is damaging.

In the past arguments have been made that we have to keep it small for
those with limited and/or expensive bandwidth.

While a noble goal, it is unfortunately something that is only paid
attention to when creating the live images and then immediately
forgotten.

I just started up one of my Fedora vm's, which was last updated 3 days
ago.

In 3 days I now have 50 packages to update/install with a total
download size of 171M.

So in 3 days I have accumulated downloads totally half the size
increase causing all this angst.  While certainly not perfect, it
roughly gives me 10G of updates to download and install over a 6 month
life span of a typical Fedora release.

Consult the relevant experts, and based on their recommendations
mandate a base set of fonts that provide a quality first experience
with Fedora for everyone regardless of where they live and what
language they read/write.  Making compromises to save 400M on a
distribution that will need 20+G over  year doesn't seem very wise.