Re: Unacceptable size increase to ALL live images in F28: Noto CJK Fonts

> wqy-microhei-fonts is very effective, but unfortunately it only covers
> Simplified Chinese and the syllabic parts of Japanese and Korean, not the
> Traditional Chinese, Japanese or Korean renderings of the CJK Unified
> Ideographs.)

AIUI, this means it really only works for simplified Chinese users
(which means, approximately, mainland China; other Chinese-speaking
territories tend to use traditional Chinese).

Simplified Chinese is a subset of traditional Chinese, so many
characters needed to render TC properly will be missing entirely from
it. Korean is technically related but in practice is really an entirely
different character set; AIUI being able to read Korean does not mean
you'd be able to read the 'equivalent' Chinese characters at all. You
couldn't just render a Korean text with Chinese ideographs in place of
the Korean ones and expect it to be at all OK for Korean readers.

Japanese ideographs are a subset of traditional Chinese too, but a
*different* subset. AIUI it's a smaller subset but includes some
characters that simplified Chinese doesn't include, so a simplified
Chinese font would again be missing some needed characters for full
Japanese rendering.

(Note on 'syllabic' vs. 'ideographic': Japanese and Korean have both
alphabet(s) for phonetic/syllabic rendering of words, like Latin, and
much larger alphabets of ideographic characters. We don't need to go
into the reasons for this or when one is used vs. the others; all
that's important is that any practical use of written Japanese and
Korean is going to involve the ideographic characters, so a font which
doesn't cover the ideographic characters is entirely insufficient).

So calling it a 'CJK' font is, well, stretching the point quite a lot.
;) It's really a mainland Chinese font, nothing more. Again, AIUI; it
would really be best to speak to the experts.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey