Re: [ACTION NEEDED] Missing BuildRequires: gcc/gcc-c++

On Wed, 2018-02-21 at 10:51 -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 21 February 2018 at 09:53, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > it's pretty easy:
> >
> > when you don't list your BuildRequires properly you depend on luck
> > that they
> > are pulled by something else in the buildroot
> >

> OK I understand that, but where is the cutoff. Where as a packager
> should I stop adding things and expect that libsolv is going to do
> its
> job?  Do I need to put in
>
> BuildRequires: kernel
> BuildRequires: systemd
> BuildRequires: bash
> BuildRequires: glibc
>
> I am depending on luck to get all of those in the environment in a
> working variant. I can understand where defining all that would be
> useful. I just don't want to spend the next year doing this one by
> one
> like a death by a thousand papercuts. It would also be a better use
> of
> the time to have a tool which generated all N dozen items.

No, you don't need kernel/systemd/glibc for build. You do need bash,
but this is special case without which RPM wouldn't work. So you are
not expected to list those in any case.

> > on the other hand there is no point to have GCC in the buildroot
> > when you as
> > exmaple build phpMyAdmin which is just a bunch of textfiles
>
> I understand that clearly. What I don't understand is if if gcc-c++
> always pulls in gcc-cc.. why do I need to add that to my manifest?
> What is the point of having a libsolver if I have to define what
> those
> things must depend upon to work?

Ask yourself following questions: Do I use g++ myself? Do I use gcc
myself?

If answer is yes and yes, then list both. If your tool uses just g++,
but there is something else inside using gcc, you just list gcc-c++.
- --
Igor Gnatenko