Re: [ACTION NEEDED] Missing BuildRequires: gcc/gcc-c++

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:53:25AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> I am trying to figure out the special cases here. Why are some
> packages more equal than others.
>
> In the end, I am just trying to figure out what the new "Fedora
> Project Packagers License" is. Something like:
>
> A packager MUST know every build requirement that their package uses
> to build itself. A packager MUST list each of these as a
> BuildRequires. A packager MUST not depend on dependencies to pull in
> those packages.

"It is important that your package list all necessary build
dependencies using the BuildRequires: tag. You may assume that enough
of an environment exists for RPM to function, to build packages and
execute basic shell scripts, but you should not assume any other
packages are present as RPM dependencies and anything brought into the
buildroot by the build system may change over time." [1]

This is not _too_ precise, but I think that's OK. It's pretty clear
that a compiler is not necessary "for RPM to function, to build packages
and execute basic shell scripts".

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Build-Time_Dependencies_.28BuildRequires.29

Zbyszek