Re: [ACTION NEEDED] Missing BuildRequires: gcc/gcc-c++

On 22 February 2018 at 10:47, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:53:25AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> I am trying to figure out the special cases here. Why are some
>> packages more equal than others.
>>
>> In the end, I am just trying to figure out what the new "Fedora
>> Project Packagers License" is. Something like:
>>
>> A packager MUST know every build requirement that their package uses
>> to build itself. A packager MUST list each of these as a
>> BuildRequires. A packager MUST not depend on dependencies to pull in
>> those packages.
>
> "It is important that your package list all necessary build
> dependencies using the BuildRequires: tag. You may assume that enough
> of an environment exists for RPM to function, to build packages and
> execute basic shell scripts, but you should not assume any other
> packages are present as RPM dependencies and anything brought into the
> buildroot by the build system may change over time." [1]
>
> This is not _too_ precise, but I think that's OK. It's pretty clear
> that a compiler is not necessary "for RPM to function, to build packages
> and execute basic shell scripts".

OK this is a problem on my part. I have taken sections which have
MUST/WILL/SHOULD in them to be done and I have taken ones without that
as general guidance. To me that section said it was ok to not list
gcc-cc if you knew it had to be there gcc-c++ would have to pull it
in. It is a should not a SHOULD and not a must or MUST. I will correct
my reading of this from now on.

> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Build-Time_Dependencies_.28BuildRequires.29
>
> Zbyszek

Stephen J Smoogen.