Re: [ACTION NEEDED] Missing BuildRequires: gcc/gcc-c++

On 21 February 2018 at 02:08, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 07:21:43PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> > List of packages and respective maintainers:
>> > https://ignatenkobrain.fedorapeople.org/gcc-removal-pkgs.txt
>> So this may not be all the packages which would need a
>> BuildRequires:gcc in them. I had two packages without
>> Buildrequires:gcc not on the list but definitely using a gcc compiler.
>> I am guessing something else in the buildrequires is pulling them in
>> as a dependency.
>>
>> I don't know if that will be a problem later on but wanted to mention it.
>
> The same as with any other missing dependency: if the package that
> your package depends on at some point loses *its* dependency, your
> package will FTBFS. Not a problem now, but something to fix in the
> long term.

I guess the problem I am having is I have no idea what we are
"fixing". It all seems like needless form filling for no benefit. If
XYZ-a is always going to pull in ABC.. why are we are explicitely
saying we need ABC. Is the end goal to have every package that could
be in the build root at the time of building be explicitely there?
[AKA get rid of the build root?] Is the end goal to fix this "one
thing" that I am not seeing?

> Zbyszek

Stephen J Smoogen.