Re: Firefox "Looking Glass" fiasco

Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> Midori has been "revived" only recently.  It stayed dead for a while,
> without any activity on the codebase/IRC channel, and accumulating a few
> CVE's here and there.

Interesting. I'd expect the browser itself to not really be security-
critical, the underlying web engine is. I guess the CVEs are things such as
missing warnings for invalid certificates?

> However, we shouldn't blindly adopt Midori as the default browser without
> seriously looking at the health of the project

Sure, that should be obvious. Though I am not proposing to make Midori THE
default browser for all of Fedora, I am only proposing it as a default for
those Spins where it fits the best technology-wise.

> (that goes for any other browser, FWIW).

The other two browsers in my list are active projects maintained by large
trustworthy upstreams Fedora is already successfully working with: one
(QupZilla/Falkon) is about to become the official browser of the KDE
project, the other one (GNOME Web/Epiphany) is already the official browser
of the GNOME project. So I don't think there is any need to worry about the
health of those 2 projects.

This also means that each of them is really the most suitable browser choice
for the respective desktop environment, in the interest of providing an
integrated user experience. The browser needs to return to being viewed as
an integral part of the desktop environment, as it was in the Konqueror era.
Firefox sticks out like a sore thumb on all of them.

        Kevin Kofler