Re: CUPS will change license since 2.3 version - now incompatible with GPLv2

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Michael Catanzaro
<mike.catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have many questions here.
>
> Isn't this going to require relicensing a humongous number of applications?
> We can't plausibly relicense so much. We would have to remove printing
> support from GTK+, which is not going to happen.
>
> The system library exception might work for Fedora, but it would be unfair
> for us to accept a solution that likely won't work for our other friends in
> the free software ecosystem.
>
> Any idea why upstream seems to think we don't have to follow the license if
> we use dynamic linking? It seems unlikely that this is accurate, right?
>
> Can upstream be persuaded to go with a BSD or MIT style license instead, to
> avoid causing unnecessary problems for the free software community?

I suspect they want the patent termination clauses. In this age of
software patent tomfoolery, I wouldn't blame them. Unfortunately,
Apple has an utter hatred of licenses that enforce reciprocity, and it
goes even further with licenses that prevent closed devices (aka GNU
v3 license family).

> Do we need to fork CUPS now?

I don't like this thought, but if this can't be resolved well, then a
fork might be needed. Ideally, if they could be convinced of LGPLv2+
or ASL 2.0, then I think everyone would be satisfied.