Re: streamlining fedora-release

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 10:03:30AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We have such special protections for the kernel (signing), firefox (trademarks),
> > and for bootloaders (signing again), and some packages which don't consider
> > the fedora repo the canonical location for sources.
> >

> Hold the phone! When did we allow packages to not consider the Fedora
> Dist-Git the canonical location for sources?

For fedora-release the idea is that "upsteam" has a copy of the spec
file, and the changes are supposed to be copied both ways. But I think
there's no disagreement with retiring "upstream", so this issue should
be moot soon (independently of the other stuff being discussed).

> As far as I know, this is
> explicitly forbidden[1]. If there are any packages protected for that
> reason, their protections should be absolutely stripped.
>
> [1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Spec_Maintenance_and_Canonicity

Yeah, but that's a longer conversation for another thread.

Zbyszek