Re: CUPS will change license since 2.3 version - now incompatible with GPLv2

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:54:03AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> Is there anyone who could raise concerns to Apple about the license
> change? Maybe convince them to dual-license it or something?

Well, Michael Sweet (mswet AT apple.com) remains the primary developer
of CUPS, and this has been raised on the CUPS mailing list in response
to the announcement he posted.

Here's the latest response [1] on that thread:

 I don't think static linking against libcups is common enough to be a
 serious concern - CUPS is fairly ubiquitous and easily falls under the
 "OS-supplied library" exception in the GPL 2.  And existing GPL-2-only
 software that *does* statically link/copy CUPS code can continue to do
 so with CUPS 2.2.x and earlier.

[1] https://lists.cups.org/pipermail/cups-devel/2017-November/017088.html

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^