Re: /bin/sh and lua; was: Re: common location of spec files in upstream sources

AW> FWIW, ISTR being told at some point that it's a good idea to write
AW> scriptlets in lua because RPM should *always* be able to run lua
AW> scriptlets, whereas at least in theory a scriptlet written in shell
AW> script could be hit before /bin/sh is installed and thus fail to
AW> run...

Well, that's why you would _have_ to do it, but those situations are
pretty limited.  You could of course use it wherever you like, if you
happen to like lua, since we don't have any prohibitions against it.

Really, though, the problem is with scriptlets in general, not what
language you can write them in.  I would consider anything which
pretends to work like RPM but doesn't process lua scriptlets properly to
be broken, sure, but I do still think that we should be trying to get
rid of scriptlets as much as possible.  Certainly there should be
relatively few situations where we would need to have hand-written
(or even pasted in) scriptlets.

Also note that this is completely, absolutely separate from use of Lua
on the build-side of rpm specs.  Honestly I don't even know whether that
is what the original poster was talking about.

 - J<