Re: /bin/sh and lua; was: Re: common location of spec files in upstream sources

FW> It's often necessary to use Lua for scriptlets which run reliably
FW> because RPM lacks delayed script execution.

I guess it depends on how delayed you want them.  The ordering is
certainly well defined but it's all a bit esoteric.

But sure, Lua is there and it works.  Unfortunately it lacks usability
because it really needs a standard library and more state needs to be
visible in the Lua symbol table.

In any case, I did try to play with some basic library for interfacing
with RPM stuff from within Lua scripts (debug output, manipulating macro
values, etc.) which is actually all kind of tricky but the mechanism
provided for you to add functions into the Lua symbol table is kind of
primitive and needs at least some consensus before something starts
using it.

FW> In the RPM land, we can only use statically linked binaries or Lua
FW> in such cases.

The cases where you _have_ to do that are really quite limited.

FW> I have extensively used install-time scripting with Lua for packages
FW> in the toolchain space (glibc and tzdata in particular; not all of
FW> this is in Fedora).

So, sure, glibc is tough since immediately after that package is
installed you have no scripting.

FW> However, this use is controversial because some
FW> RPM lookalikes do not implement Lua scriptlets.

For Fedora that certainly isn't a concern.

FW> Furthermore, changes in this area (such as replacing Lua with other
FW> mechanisms such as shell scripts) are difficult to test properly
FW> because differences in RPM or the repository contents could cause
FW> dependency loops be broken at different points.

Well, yes, low level distribution work is hard and the environment as
you are doing an initial OS install is, at least in the early part of
the process, extremely limited.  But I don't recall a problem which
didn't have a reasonable solution.  (Perhaps that depends on how you
define "reasonable" though.  Some would argue that using Lua at all
isn't reasonable.)

 - J<