Re: /bin/sh and lua; was: Re: common location of spec files in upstream sources

On 10/27/2017 05:31 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017, Vít Ondruch wrote:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines

interesting to re-read

I noticed in the Scripts languages section the ** absence **
of /bin/sh (and not 'bash' with its 'bashisms'), and lua

Each should probably be present for completeness ... it may
finally provoke the lua hooks in rpm to become used, and os
useful

It's often necessary to use Lua for scriptlets which run reliably because RPM lacks delayed script execution. In contrast, dpkg unpacks dependencies and then runs the postinst scripts, so the mere binaries can be assumed installed, the package just has not been configured. This avoids many dependency loops (but of course not all of them). In the RPM land, we can only use statically linked binaries or Lua in such cases.

I have extensively used install-time scripting with Lua for packages in the toolchain space (glibc and tzdata in particular; not all of this is in Fedora). However, this use is controversial because some RPM lookalikes do not implement Lua scriptlets.

Furthermore, changes in this area (such as replacing Lua with other mechanisms such as shell scripts) are difficult to test properly because differences in RPM or the repository contents could cause dependency loops be broken at different points.

Thanks,
Florian