Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On 10/12/2017 11:32 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:22:52AM +0200, Till Hofmann wrote:
Actually, as a regular desktop user, I'd be surprised if I got the FF57 with
a regular update without upgrading to the latest Fedora release. I don't
think FF57 should be in F26 at all.

Looking at the updates in bodhi, F26 was release with firefox-52, so you already
upgraded a few times :)

Yes, but that wasn't branded as all-new, better-than-ever Firefox (which it is), that intentionally breaks stuff which is directly visible by the end-user. An update that breaks the majority of extensions is very hard to sell for a stable release, as much as I love the new Firefox.

From an admin POV, this will result in lots of users complaining about their broken browsers, and probably at the wrong time, because not scheduled by the admin.

Also, as someone else has already mentioned in this thread, this is not really in line with the updates policy. I'm not saying we shouldn't receive updates for Firefox, but I think it should get an exception, so everyone actually knows when and why Firefox gets (or doesn't get) updates.

On my side, I do like having the latest firefox, also on my old F25.

Me too, but I don't like my boss complaining about his broken web browser.

Regards,
Till