Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On 11 October 2017 at 15:08, Martin Stransky <stransky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 07:26 PM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Heiko Adams <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Am Mittwoch, den 11.10.2017, 07:53 -0700 schrieb Gerald B. Cox:
>>>
>>> By definition BETA software is never intended to be pushed to stable.  Fx
>>> 57 is BETA.  When the STABLE version is released, then it can go into
>>> updates-testing.  Not before.  Again, that is the purpose of RAWHIDE.
>>>
>>> Does this mean it's also not allowed to push packaged git-snapshots of a
>>> software to updates-testing because they are unreleased and potentially
>>> unstable?
>>>

>> As Adam mentioned apparently this isn't the "Official Policy".
>>
>> My opinion however is common sense dictates that you don't put anything in
>> updates-testing unless you intend to push that software to stable.  If you
>> want people to test out experimental software, put it in RAWHIDE.  If it's
>> a git-snapshot and your INTENT is to push it to stable (for example,
>> you're
>> fixing a bug) then that is OK for updates-testing.
>>
>> In this instance, there is no intent to push Fx 57 BETA to stable.  That's
>> why it does't belong in update-testing.
>

> I think there's a bit misunderstanding here. Some parts of the FF57 update
> are going to be in stable as is (if the testing goes well). That includes
> the CSD patch [1].

There are several misunderstandings here but they all stem from a core
problem which an old Mozilla quote covers:

Surprise is the opposite of engagement. [1]

It is something we forget a lot.. but is a reason why older
maintainers of XYZ software (Mozilla, X11, gcc, kernel, etc) would
make sure that a heads up email about a major version change goes out.

If you put out a heads up that "tomorrow I will be pushing Firefox
57BETA into updates-testing" you could have given people heads up and
would have also learned from someone that updates-testing is on for
everyone in the post-branch world. While in this case it probably
would not have affected your decision, in other cases it might have
made it clearer that you needed to do so after a different time. It
would have also queued in people to either skip updates or know why
their workflow died.

In either case, people would be better informed.

[1] https://opensource.com/business/10/3/five-questions-about-building-community-chris-blizzard-mozilla

--
Stephen J Smoogen.