Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On Wed, 2017-10-11 at 15:42 -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 11 October 2017 at 15:08, Martin Stransky <stransky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > As Adam mentioned apparently this isn't the "Official Policy".
> > >
> > > My opinion however is common sense dictates that you don't put anything in
> > > updates-testing unless you intend to push that software to stable.  If you
> > > want people to test out experimental software, put it in RAWHIDE.  If it's
> > > a git-snapshot and your INTENT is to push it to stable (for example,
> > > you're
> > > fixing a bug) then that is OK for updates-testing.
> > >
> > > In this instance, there is no intent to push Fx 57 BETA to stable.  That's
> > > why it does't belong in update-testing.
> >

> > I think there's a bit misunderstanding here. Some parts of the FF57 update
> > are going to be in stable as is (if the testing goes well). That includes
> > the CSD patch [1].
> >

> There are several misunderstandings here but they all stem from a core
> problem which an old Mozilla quote covers:
>
> Surprise is the opposite of engagement. [1]
>
> It is something we forget a lot.. but is a reason why older
> maintainers of XYZ software (Mozilla, X11, gcc, kernel, etc) would
> make sure that a heads up email about a major version change goes out.
>
> If you put out a heads up that "tomorrow I will be pushing Firefox
> 57BETA into updates-testing" you could have given people heads up and
> would have also learned from someone that updates-testing is on for
> everyone in the post-branch world. While in this case it probably
> would not have affected your decision, in other cases it might have
> made it clearer that you needed to do so after a different time. It
> would have also queued in people to either skip updates or know why
> their workflow died.
>
> In either case, people would be better informed.

Agreed. It is true that in general people using updates-testing should
more or less know what they're doing, but they're not necessarily
expecting surprises like this. And as smooge says, updates-testing is
enabled by default in Branched releases (so, F27 at present); anyone
running F27 Beta will get this package as soon as it reaches the
mirrors.

I think Harald really has a point that the potentially disruptive
nature of the changes in 57 should mean that, if anything, we go
*slower* in pushing it out to our users, not *faster*. Unless it
includes vital security fixes we can't backport, I don't think there's
necessarily a reason we need to jump all over this and try to get it
out on release day; why not wait a bit while providing a way for early
adopters to try it out if they'd like to?

Note that there is an alternative to both u-t and COPR; you can do
scratch builds in Koji, or do real builds but don't actually submit
them to updates-testing , and either provide a repo with those builds
yourself, or just write a blog post or something explaining which
packages people should pull from Koji if they want to test...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey