Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On 10/11/2017 10:58 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

I don't get the whole kerfuffle about FF57 being beta: F27 is in beta
now too, and it's the time to test what will be in the relased version,
and using a pre-release of a package seems to be a better way to do
this than using some old version that will be soon replaced.
If we had a different updates policy for Firefox in Fedora, things
would be different, but we don't.

FF57 was also pushed to F26 updates-testing. F26 is not beta but a stable release. I have updates-testing enabled on my main machine to find unexpected package breakages and give feedback about them, which is the whole purpose of updates-testing. If this breaks my main web browser (which could have been expected), I'll just disable updates-testing again. This means less testing of updates, which a lot of people (rightfully) complain about anyway. That's why I think such an update should not go into a stable release's updates-testing.

Actually, as a regular desktop user, I'd be surprised if I got the FF57 with a regular update without upgrading to the latest Fedora release. I don't think FF57 should be in F26 at all.

Regards,
Till