Re: Why is Fx 57 in Updates Testing?

On Wed, 2017-10-11 at 20:58 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> OTOH, let's consider two points: one, FF57 is disruptive, and two,
> FF57 will be released as an update in Fedora when Mozilla make the
> release, as specified by our policy for FF updates.

Uh, what policy is that? AFAICS Firefox does not have a specific update
policy. It's also not listed as having any exceptions at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Exceptions .

AIUI we usually send updates to newer Firefox versions out for stable
releases under the 'needed to get security fixes out' clause. But that
doesn't mean we *must* ship every new version as an update immediately.

>  In the light of
> this, it seems reasonable to push FF57 to updates-testing right now,
> the sooner the better.
>
> I don't get the whole kerfuffle about FF57 being beta: F27 is in beta
> now too, and it's the time to test what will be in the relased version,
> and using a pre-release of a package seems to be a better way to do
> this than using some old version that will be soon replaced.
> If we had a different updates policy for Firefox in Fedora, things
> would be different, but we don't.

I don't care about it being in beta. I *do* care about this being an
unusual approach to shipping a major Firefox change which wasn't really
discussed or even notified about in advance, and which involves sending
a package to updates-testing which is clearly not destined for stable.
If the package of the beta Firefox was actually intended to go to
stable Fedora, and that was in line with the update policy, that would
be a different case.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey