Re: Is it possible atlas is linked wrongly by new binutils?

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 11:01:04AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Can't we make it a drop-in replacement for reference BLAS/LAPACK and ATLAS,
>> i.e., having symlinks or linker scripts pointing at least libblas.so and
>> liblapack.so to libopenblas.so.*, ideally also libblas.so.3 and
>> liblapack.so.3 so that no rebuilds are necessary and so that things using
>> dlopen and third-party binary blobs also use OpenBLAS?
>>
>> The current situation where we have 3 different BLAS implementations and
>> where for most programs, depending on your setup, you get either the worst
>> one (reference BLAS) or a suboptimal one (ATLAS compiled for the baseline
>> architecture), but never the best one (OpenBLAS with runtime CPU detection),
>> is a mess.
>
> This sounds like a good idea (and worthy of a Change). I hate to
> suggest Alternatives but maybe it's appropriate here?

The sane Debian approach was rejected in committee previously.

There's some discussion and a technique for subverting the non-optimal
BLAS/LAPACK at <https://loveshack.fedorapeople.org/blas-subversion.html>.
[I actually only care about EPEL, and presumably RHEL's treatment of
linear algebra won't change.]

To support libraries which don't dispatch on the micro-architecture
(like BLIS, currently) it would be useful if SIMD hardware capabilities
were supported.  I could never find useful doc on those, but as far as I
can tell, there's no such support on x86, at least.