Re: Is it possible atlas is linked wrongly by new binutils?

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>> It also needs some patching, because each library has a different
>> SONAME.
>
> Symlinking
> libblas.so.3 → libopenblas.so.0
> liblapack.so.3 → libopenblas.so.0
> is enough to get things linked against BLAS and/or LAPACK to pick up
> OpenBLAS instead. A similar symlinking should work for the -devel package.
> If the symlinks confuse ldconfig or cause some other issues, linker scripts
> can be used instead.

You'll find Dominik was correct if you try it.

>> I think atlas used to provide a drop-in replacement, but it was abandoned
>
> Ouch! Indeed, the current ATLAS packages provide only libsatlas and
> libtatlas, no libblas or liblapack. This is a regression and should never
> have been packaged that way. Now all the packages end up with the
> unoptimized reference BLAS.

Various things have been changed to use openblas on x86 after some of us
agitated.

> (In fact, I think I already noticed that when it
> happened and complained loudly about it, but was ignored, as it seems.
> Sigh!)

As far as I remember, there's good reason (apart from the previous
(FPC?) vote against it), like the atlas blas and lapack have to go
together.

> That said, ATLAS should really go away, unless they add support for runtime
> CPU detection and the result matches or exceeds OpenBLAS performance.

It will exceed it on any relevant platform that openblas doesn't
support, but where OB doesn't do DYNAMIC_ARCH you still have the problem
of needing micro-architecture-specific packages (which seems to be
against policy, although atlas does it).

> In its
> current state (which has been the state since its inception), ATLAS is
> really unsuitable for distribution packaging. They just do not care about
> binary packages, at all.

I don't know whether that's true, but Fedora could at least improve the
situation by providing more than the -sse2 and -sse3 packages.

>> on the premise that scientific codes are compiled specificlly for their
>> target clusters anyway
>
> … which is of course not true for distribution packages!

I might note that, typically, people who insist on specific compilation
haven't made relevant measurements -- I know that's not true generally
-- e.g. the myths about MKL et al.  Where reasonable, the computational
kernels that are sensitive to SIMD should be abstracted into libraries
like openblas, libxsmm, fftw, elpa, etc.

>> and Intel's math library (MKL) doesn't provide a drop-in replacement.
>
> … which is entirely irrelevant.
>
> It is the job of the distribution to ensure that software uses the most
> efficient BLAS/LAPACK implementation available. Other distributions ship
> symlinks ensuring that. The current packaging in Fedora is horrible.

I presume that means the most efficient free implementation.  On avx512,
that's BLIS (+libxsmm), but MKL is still substantially faster.