Re: F27 and the short schedule [was Re: Fedora 27 Change Checkpoint: Completion deadline (testable)]

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 10:49:58AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I've been pushing hard to have the infrastructure changes ready on
> the F27 timescale, because we don't like to make unrelated
> infrastructure changes during the later stages of a release, and if
> we wait to land the things until after F27 is final, it will likely
> be January before packagers can even start playing around with making
> Flatpaks of their applications, and we won't have much room for
> improvement based on feedback before F28.

Yeah; sooner rather than later seems good. Concretely, will those
infrastructure changes be ready this month? Beta freeze is Sept. 5th,
and right before that there's Flock.

> The infrastructure changes are separate from how we advertise this as
> a feature - we could land everything, find that it isn't ready for
> prime time - and only advertise once we've had chance for refinement.
> (To some extent, that's the plan already!)

+1

> We're making a lot of progress, but if we don't have everything lined
> up within the next month or so, we'll of course have to fall back to
> landing after F27 is final. As with anybody else planning a feature,
> having strictly time based releases has a downside and an upside:
>
>  - If you are the weak link, you are kicked off the boat
>  - But you know another boat is coming soon!

Also +1. But, you know, no _kicking_. More... gently lowered. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>