Re: super-drafty F28 and F29 schedules

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 09:36:28PM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 07/06/2017 09:15 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/28/Schedule
>
> I encourage Jeff Law and Jakub Jelinek to review these schedules
> for compiler related issues.
>
> This is just a perfunctory review from the glibc perspective with
> regard to base ABI and API issues in this core runtime.
>
> 2018-01-10 MASS REBUILD
> - This date is ahead of the glibc release on 2018-02-01
>   but after the 2018-01-01 ABI freeze date for glibc.
>   Therefore you will be largely assured a stable ABI upon
>   which to base Fedora, _but_ there is a vanishingly small
>   chance you may need a mass rebuild or a targeted rebuild
>   on 2018-02-01 if something has to be reverted.

2018-01-10 is way too early for a mass rebuild from GCC point of view,
even if we perform the test mass rebuild over the Christmas break,
there won't be enough time to analyze it and fix any GCC issues revealed
during that time.  GCC bugfixing usually starts around November 15th and
needs some time before it can be fixed enough to use widely.
Moving the mass rebuild one week earlier than last time
is maybe doable, but not one month.  And not rebuilding F27 with GCC 8
is a bad idea for both the compiler and Fedora.

As for F29, there is no GCC release around that time, so from GCC POV the
schedule doesn't matter that much.

	Jakub