Re: super-drafty F28 and F29 schedules

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:36 PM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I encourage Jeff Law and Jakub Jelinek to review these schedules
for compiler related issues.

I don't think we should adjust the schedule much (or even at all) for the compiler. We scheduled F26 a month later than usual to accommodate GCC, and combined with an extra month of delay on top of that, the result is that Ubuntu beat us to a GNOME 3.24 release by three months. We have to be more timely in order to remain the premiere distro for GNOME users, *especially* considering we're going to be following a month behind Ubuntu 18.04 shipping GNOME by default next spring. We need to follow up quickly with a rock solid release.

It's very nice to ship with the latest version of GCC, but it's not worth delaying our releases very long for. Early May and late October are the best possible release times for Workstation and I hope we stick to those in the future. So I very much support Matthew's proposal. If there are problems with GCC, we have options: we could ship with prerelease GCC, or defer the GCC update to the fall release, or ask the GCC devs to move their schedule forward a couple of weeks. I'm sure we'll settle on something everyone can live with. I just hope we can release F28 next spring much earlier than we released F26. We had been doing well for several releases, but F26 was too greatly delayed.

Michael