Re: Deprecated net-tools? Mass bug filing?

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:54 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18 May 2017 at 11:03, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Well normally deprecated refers to something which is left in place but
>>> which people are advised to move away from which would imply not removing
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I suspect it will be some time before all those packages are modified to not
>>> rely on it so any talk of removing it seems premature.
>>
>> It's not just packages with explicitly published dependencies. It's a
>> lot of configuration tools with implicit dependencies, whose authors
>> didn't imagine at the time of authorship that basic utilities like
>> "/sbin/ifconfig". These tools may be entirely local and outside of
>> RPM's, or may never have bothered to declare what they thought was an
>> implicit provision as part of running on an RPM based Linux. For
>> example, I note on the older systems I have immediate access to that
>> ifconfig is used in the python "virtinst" and "uuid" modules.
>

> That's fine Nico, and I'll remind you I'm not in any way proposing
> removal of net-tools from the repositories.

Cool. "Deprecated" can often imply that the toolkit is due to be
removed, so I personally just wanted to point out some specific,
hidden dependencies that may not be apparent from a casual RPM
analysis.

> Also looking at older systems isn't relevant as this is just about
> looking forward with Fedora.
>
> Again do keep in mind that the default RHEL7 server install, a minimal
> Fedora install and the upcoming Debian Stretch has no net-tools by
> default.

I see your point. I'm not saying pulling out net-tools dependencies is
unreasonable: I'm suggesting that there may be an unexpected
consequence in components with unannounced dependencies, such as the
python "uuid" module.