Re: Deprecated net-tools? Mass bug filing?

On 17 May 2017 at 08:55, Jon Kent <jon.kent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd agree with that. In addition so many peoples own scripts rely on them
> that the user impact could be huge. That and every SA I know (and me)
> dislikes the ip tool with a passion.

Well ignoring emotional reasons for a moment, it has been deprecated a
significant period of time and has major limitations that are well
documented (eg unable  to display a secondary IP address assigned to
an interface such as put in place via pacemaker or keepalived).

If someone still wants it they can install it (unless it gets orphaned
and retired) but the point is dependencies within Fedora on an
unmaintained deprecated tool... that's my concern and what I want to
focus on and even if we can't get all of them sorted then just cutting
down the list is a good start and goal to have.

On 17 May 2017 at 08:46, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Converting apps from nettools to iproute is often non-trivial piece
> of work. As such isn't really something Fedora package maintainers
> should look to undertake as the risk of introducing regressions is
> non-negligible.  Bug reports really need to go the corresponding
> upstream communities to get anything done.

That's a sensible position and one I can respect. I do wonder how much
is upstream and how much is a result of packaging though, that itself
might be an interesting investigation.

At the very least it may be worth checking for upstream bugs, filing
them where they don't exist, and then filing a bugzilla (even with a
tracking bug perhaps? Is this something for FPC to discuss maybe?)
ticket linked to the upstream.

I'm especially concerned that something like facter, for example,
hasn't been updated in 2 years and is well out of date but is a
significant part of fact collection in tools like puppet and
ansible... and how even if there is an upstream issue to remove the
reliance on the deprecated tool that gets used... whether this would
even be picked up without a tracking bug or similar in Fedora.

James