Re: Wild changes in nsswitch.conf

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:17 AM, Jakub Hrozek <jhrozek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:20:49AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>> Yes, authconfig is *not* a good tool for managing centralized authentication
>> services and its upstream has been unable to keep up with the changing needs of
>> the system. That's why work is under way to replace it with more robust tools. I
>> think Jakub can talk more about that.
>
> Yeah, there is a project in a fairly early stage (so, we don't even have
> a Fedora Change page yet, but we need to file one for F-27) to replace
> authconfig.
>
> The basic idea is that instead of trying to generate a nss/pam stack
> based on what the admin called authconfig with (and hope for the best)
> the tool would include a curated and well tested set of stacks to support
> the common configuration types.

Cool. I'd love to see, for example "sss" not even listed in the
equivalent of /etc/nsswitch.conf for systems that haven't specifically
enabled any service that actually uses LDAP. Currently, the stack
relies on authconfig turning *off* the sssd daemon. I'd prefer to see
it listed there only if there's actually anything configured to use
it.