Re: Wild changes in nsswitch.conf

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 08:20:49AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 05/16/2017 07:04 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> >> The only historical reason it is there is because authconfig didn't
> >> differentiate them; it made all changes to shadow identically to passwd.
> >> I don't know if that's still the case, but I'm pretty sure it was when
> >> we first added SSSD support to authconfig. It's not harmful, since the
> >> SSSD client just immediately returns with an appropriate NSS error code
> >> if it's asked for any shadow map function.
> >
> > Stephen, activating *any* service you don't need and using it for work
> > that cannot possibly succeed is potentially harmful to performance and
> > stability of the system. It may not be notably destructive or very
> > expensive, and in this case would normally be harmless. But it helps
> > create another possible point of failure in a system critical
> > function. The underlying problem there would seem to be one of
> > authconfig activating features pointlessly in /etc/nsswitch.cnf, not
> > of the sssd software itself.
> >

> To clarify, having this in nsswitch.conf does *NOT* activate the SSSD service on
> the system (in and of itself). And the system around it is carefully designed so
> that if SSSD is not running or accessible, it immediately returns control to
> glibc which then goes through the classic nss_files path.
>
> > Tomasz's tone has been consistently rude. In this cae, he did seem to
> > have a point. sssd is, in this case, re-inventing some of the wheels
> > of nscd. He could have said so much more nicely.
>
> Yes, SSSD does reinvent nscd, because nscd did not meet the needs of a great
> many people. Its caching methodology is too simplistic (it uses the exact same
> approach to deal with all possible name-service maps, which means that its
> decision process has to be least-common-denominator). We very much set out to
> replace nscd because it didn't work well and the upstream at the time was
> immovable on many of these points. While this may no longer be true, that ship
> has sailed.
>

> And Tomasz? sssd was
> > apparently *designed* with philosophy much like that of systemd. It's
> > supposed to be a unified set of tools replacing a lot of already
> > existing functionality, and adding some useful features.
> > Unfortunately, its unifying multiple service and multiple host
> > authentication doesn't seem to have become popular: Most folks I've
> > seen using Kerberos and LDAP, which sssd was designed to integrate,
> > have simply ignored sssd and gone straight to the more multi-platform
> > supported Samba.
>
> Just a reminder: anecdotes do not equal rigorous data :)
>
> SSSD is in extremely wide use around the world and is the preferred
> LDAP/Kerberos client option in all of the major Linux distributions.
>

>  And authconfig has never really evolved to provide
> > more robust, consistent activation of localized configurations,
> > settings which are overwritten without notification when authconfig is
> > run. Authconfig is a fairly dangerous tool if you need to customize
> [...]

Yeah, there is a project in a fairly early stage (so, we don't even have
a Fedora Change page yet, but we need to file one for F-27) to replace
authconfig.

The basic idea is that instead of trying to generate a nss/pam stack
based on what the admin called authconfig with (and hope for the best)
the tool would include a curated and well tested set of stacks to support
the common configuration types.