Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On Tue, 2016-12-20 at 10:48 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-12-20 at 14:27 +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > Surely it's more likely that it just delays the discovery of the
> > botched
> > update?
>
> I don't think updates-testing should be batched. Testers should of
> course still get all test updates ASAP.
>
> > The only way it reduces the risk of releasing a botched update is
> > the
> > the updates somehow get more testing just by staying in the testing
> > channel longer.
>
> ...and actual QA, from the professionals and volunteers on the QA team,
> who are very good at finding bugs pre-release but currently do zero QA
> on our updates because it's an unmanageable rolling stream of a
> bazillion separate updates.

This is an exaggeration. We do test updates. We could always test
everything *better*, and that applies to updates, but it is not true to
say we 'do zero QA' on them.

>  With batched updates, you can test a batch
> with the same overall criteria used for releases to see if it's
> botched. That's the advantage of batching over simply extending the
> amount of time spent in updates-testing.

This is also an exaggeration, or at least it's a long way from
proven. I don't think we could say that just batching updates would
suddenly allow us to QA them as extensively as we QA a release. Release
testing involves a lot of work by a lot of people; especially desktop
validation is rather onerous. If we're talking about *weekly* batched
updates, no, it is not at all practical to assume we'll magically be
able to find the time to do release-validation level testing of each
update batch every week.

We could in theory apply what automated functional testing we have to
batched updates, but it's not at all a simple thing to do, and we could
in fact apply it to *non*-batched updates too. It's something I've been
wanting to do for a while, just have not had time for yet.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey