Re: Two more concrete ideas for what a once-yearly+update schedule would look like

On 20/12/16 14:23, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

Batched updates are something I really want to do regardless. Of course
having fixes available sooner is valuable, but you have to weigh that
against the cost of releasing a *botched* update. The advantage of
batched updates is we reduce the risk of releasing botched updates. If
we batch the updates together and release them all at once, possibly
with new installation media, then that's something that we can QA, and
that reduces the risk of a botched update.

Surely it's more likely that it just delays the discovery of the botched update?

The only way it reduces the risk of releasing a botched update is the the updates somehow get more testing just by staying in the testing channel longer.

Which makes the question whether botched updates happen because not enough people use testing, or because there are enough people using it but they don't have enough time to spot the problems before the updates get pushed.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@xxxxxxxxxx)
http://compton.nu/