Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

On 18 November 2016 at 02:39, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>> > Apples and oranges. There's no installer on ARM. There's no need to wipe
>> > all your data on a desktop system that you have one unit of.
>>
>> Yes, there is, we support anaconda just like on all the other arches.
>> It's not as widely used as people like to just consume the disk images
>> but it is supported and tested across a wide range of boards. We're
>> even working on adding CI to do this across a lot of boards on a
>> nightly basis.
>
> Yea, but it is still apples and oranges IMO.

And I hate the phrase comparing apples and oranges. Apples and oranges
are both fruit. They both grow on trees. Apples are closer related to
roses, but both are members of the rosid family. Both fruit contain
Vitamin C though oranges have more. I can go on quite a while with
valid useful comparisons.. but my "you are ranting" buzzer has gone
off.

> On a arm board you can swap the sdcard in seconds.  Then run tests
> (images / anaconda / whatever).  Then put back in the original sdcard
> and things continue to work just fine like they did before you ran the
> tests.  Try that with a macbook.
>
> Also buying a separate device for testing purposes is much less of a
> problem with arm boards as the costs for that are an order of magnitude
> lower compared to a mac ...

For that sort of comparison then comparing Macs to any other consumer
desktop is not possible and is its own category of hardware. I can buy
2-3 equivalent memory/cpu/video ASUS systems for a Macbook. They may
not be as well engineered or as pretty but they are functional and do
allow me to change out memory and disks much more easily than a Mac.
Does that mean we shouldn't compare them for working? If we can't then
we really need to make this a focus early on in a release with people
wanting it helping out.. <hint, hint>

> cheers,
>   Gerd

Stephen J Smoogen.