Re: Recommended upgrade procedure for >1 release upgrades

On 17/11/16 12:04 PM, Christian Dersch wrote:

> On 11/17/2016 09:01 PM, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
>> On 17/11/16 10:26 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Hi, folks!
>>>
>>> While looking into an issue with how GNOME Software decides which
>>> release to offer an upgrade to when there's more than one plausible
>>> candidate, I noticed something interesting: we do not actually have a
>>> policy on what we 'recommend' people to do in this case.
>>>
>>> You'll notice we don't explicitly specify *how* you should do this.
>>> That is, if you're currently running Fedora 23, and you want to
>>> upgrade to Fedora 25 next week, are you supposed to:
>>>
>>> i) Upgrade to Fedora 24 first, then from Fedora 24 to Fedora 25
>>> ii) Upgrade directly to Fedora 25
>>>
>> Why not using a similar scheme from Libre Office [1] where Fedora 25 is
>> the more recent version while Fedora 24 is more stable?
> Why consider F24 more stable? Both releases are stable @same level in
> general.
The former runs longer than the latter and there may be a sign of
unnoticed regression for newer release as an example. The scenario is
about moving from two releases hence using Libre Office example like
Fresh and Still in their case. My suggestion may not be ideal but at
least considering that option even though it may not work.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer