Re: Fedora on Macs, removing the release criterion

>>> You seem to be under a misapprehension on how distributions are
>>> built.. even ones which are paid for. In any distribution, if
>>> something is important then the stakeholders (the people who think it
>>> is important) make sure that it is funded so that the resources are
>>> there for testing. That funding in a corporate distribution is in
>>> paying for equipment, staff and hours to get that item tested and
>>> developed. In a 'free' distribution, that funding is volunteering the
>>> time to make sure it is tested. [And even in paid distributions, when
>>> things aren't paid for and people assume that X was going to be
>>> there.. if X isn't working on release day it comes back to the
>>> stakeholders that they needed not to assume it would be.]
>>>

>> I was under the (mis?)assumption that, due to being in the release
>> criteria, mac "support" was important for Fedora. It seems to have
>> been that way for 10 years.
>
> It is as important as any other platform that the community wants to support.
>
>> If that is not the case anymore it would be good if that would be
>> communicated in advance so that all users on mac hw could either
>> switch distros or gang together to make a remix or something.
>
> You are confusing Fedora with a company.  There is no top-down
> communication on what is or is not supported.  There is no hardware
> support list or hardware certification list.  It is literally what
> people show up and test.

Maybe the release criteria should reflect that then. Right now it says
that mac support is a criteria for release.

>> As a user and very occasional contributor (mostly of bug reports) it
>> is very hard to know what is most important to test. AFAIK there
>> wasn't any "Installer test day" or anything similar. So I and a lot of
>> people probably tested other stuff*.
>
> As a user and contributor, it is important to test what YOU find
> important.  If that is Macs, then test every aspect of Mac support
> (install, runtime, etc).  If it doesn't work, report it.  If it does
> and you want to move on to testing something else, do that.
>
> The cumulative efforts define what works and doesn't work in Fedora on
> any given release.

As everyone else I have limited time and resources and lot of things a
care about in an OS. It is unfortunately impossible for me to test
everything.

>> If I would have paid for RHEL 8 and it did not work on hardware that
>> RHEL 7.3 supported without any communication from Red Hat I would get
>> pissed and most probably find another vendor.
>
> That's the primary difference between Fedora and RHEL.  RHEL is made
> to support what people pay for and the Service Level Agreements
> dictate what is and isn't supported.  Fedora is made by people that
> want to see something work, and that thing working is entirely
> contingent upon people showing up to make sure it does.

Yes and the people who showed up and did the work has made a release
criteria. Do you want to change that?