Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 13:34 +1000, Jeff Fearn wrote:
> On 5/10/2016 12:36, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Adam Williamson writes:
> >
> > > All dnf's 'nice features' aren't really there for a system update, are
> > > they?
> >

> > Well what are they there for, then?
> >
> > >       You can use all of its nice features for doing other things.
> >

> > Like what? I thought that the only thing dnf does is update the system.
> > Oh, yeah, sure you can query metadata on available packages too.
>

> I think there is a misunderstanding here on the use of "system".
>
> I believe Adam is saying that upgrading packages for the underlying OS
> is where the problem is, but you can upgrade packages in other layers of
> the OS fine.
>
> e.g. upgrading glibc can be an issue, upgrading vi should be fine.
>
> Upgrading emacs is undefined.

No, that's not what I meant. I was replying to Gerald's post (though I
missed quoting the relevant bit, which led to some confusion):

"The DNF team has done an excellent job in obfuscating the
horror IMO because (knock on wood) I've always been very impressed
with the features and functionality.  Seems a shame that all those nice
bells and whistles will now be hidden behind some gui or pkcon."

I was just confused as to what 'features and functionality' would be
'hidden' by a GUI or pkcon in the case of doing a system update, since
I can't really think what 'features and functionality' you really use
when running dnf update.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey