Re: PSA: Do not run 'dnf update' inside GNOME, KDE or any other graphical desktop on Fedora 24

On Tue, 2016-10-04 at 18:59 -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:

> I've been scrambling reading threads trying to understand what exactly is
> the exposure here.  The only thing I could find that quantified the risk
> was in this kde thread:
>
> https://goo.gl/m87COz

You're never really going to be able to 'quantify the risk', because we
don't have solid enough data. We don't know exactly how many millions
of people are running Fedora in how many millions of configurations and
just how many of them have ever had a dnf update failure. We don't even
know any single one of those things. You're kind of on a hiding to
nothing there. Point is, live update processes can and do go wrong. We
certainly have enough records of that. Dig through bugzilla and you'll
find plenty. I can think of ~4 cases that actually *did* get reported
and precisely identified since F21. The more stuff running under the
update process, the more likely problems are to happen.

All dnf's 'nice features' aren't really there for a system update, are
they? You can use all of its nice features for doing other things. When
you update the system, all you want is...an updated system. pkcon and
GNOME's offline update flow achieve that just fine.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey