Re: Fedora development of Snap packages

On Fri, 2016-06-17 at 09:59 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 09:11:48PM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > For atomic workstation, this is the goal. We even need that,
> > because in
> > that setup the OS (/usr) would be a read-only image (based on
> > rpms), so
> > we could not install new rpms. Instead we'd take our existing rpms
> > and
> > create flatpaks from them.
>
> How would non-GUI applications be installed in this picture?

I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind for a non-GUI applications,
but options available include.

 * Run in a container

   This is the obvious path for network services - if you want to run
   Mailman or Wordpress on your workstation. It's also may be the
   an interesting route for development tools - the container
   provides the "SDK" you are developing against.

 * Use a layered RPM

   rpm-ostree now has support for locally installing RPMs on top of an
   OSTree. We don't want to use it as our primary installation
   mechaniss, because it causes problems for the idea that applications
   are upgraded independently  from the OS. But it can be the perfect
   escape hatch if you need 'tracepath' or whatever and it isn't
   otherwise available.

 * Package in a flatpak

   There's nothing inherent about Flatpak that prevents it from working
   for many TUI and command line tools; the export system would have to
   be extended to export a wrapper script to turn 'nano' into
   'flatpak run org.nano-editor.Nano'. Turning on sandboxing is harder.

- Owen