Re: Fedora development of Snap packages

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 10:56:28AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > How would non-GUI applications be installed in this picture?
> I'm not entirely sure what you have in mind for a non-GUI applications,
> but options available include.

For _services_, running in a docker container seems like a good
solution. I'm more talking about compilers, text editors, and other
various utilities. I use the `calc` command-line calculator all the
time, for example, and taskwarrior for keeping my todo list.

>  * Run in a container
>    This is the obvious path for network services - if you want to run
>    Mailman or Wordpress on your workstation. It's also may be the
>    an interesting route for development tools - the container
>    provides the "SDK" you are developing against.

That's an interesting approach. How could we make that easy and
obvious? Possibly we could install desktop icons and tools that start
up a given "SDK" environment -- and let you customize it to your liking
(so _we_ aren't deciding "emacs or vi?" for people). Maybe even the
default terminal app drops you into a utility container rather than the
base system.

>  * Use a layered RPM
>    rpm-ostree now has support for locally installing RPMs on top of an
>    OSTree. We don't want to use it as our primary installation
>    mechaniss, because it causes problems for the idea that applications
>    are upgraded independently  from the OS. But it can be the perfect
>    escape hatch if you need 'tracepath' or whatever and it isn't
>    otherwise available.

maybe this is the way, but unless we put a lot of development into
alternatives, I think it's going to be very common in our target
audiences, so it'd need to be more than a rarely-used "escape hatch".

>  * Package in a flatpak
>    There's nothing inherent about Flatpak that prevents it from working
>    for many TUI and command line tools; the export system would have to
>    be extended to export a wrapper script to turn 'nano' into
>    'flatpak run org.nano-editor.Nano'. Turning on sandboxing is harder.

Yeah, this seems possibly useful for some tools, but the sandboxing
seems _really_ hard.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>