Re: systemd 230 change - KillUserProcesses defaults to yes

Tom Hughes wrote:
On 01/06/16 12:19, Howard Chu wrote:

This is still looking at the problem back-asswards. The problem isn't
that screen and tmux are special cases. The problem is that some handful
of programs that got spawned in a GUI desktop environment are special
cases, not exiting when they should.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.

There are basically three things that I'm aware of that are used from a user
session to run something in background in a way that will survive the end of
the user session and you named them - nohup, screen and tmux.

Your awareness is apparently limited.

Anything else I put in background with "&" in my shell will be killed when I
log out unless it has been disowned which is basically a shell builtin version
of nohup.

Your shell is not *every* shell. csh and derivatives don't provide (and don't need) "nohup".

So things which are intended to survive the end of a login session really are
the special case. The default behaviour has always been that things are killed
when you logout,

False. Your premise is wrong, and your conclusion is wrong.

it's just that the way of enforcing that (sending a SIHGHUP)
is fairly gentle so things can easily survive without really intending to.

Tom

--
  -- Howard Chu