Re: Unretire surf

On Tue, 2016-04-19 at 16:24 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:36:54AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > For the record, we do in fact have a policy on this:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow#Priority_and_Severity
> > I wouldn't exactly claim that it's universally followed, but it *is*
> > there. I do still follow those rules for 'severity' when dealing with
> > bugs, for whatever it's worth.

> Isn't bugzappers officially defunct? It does seem like a reasonable
> enough policy, for whatever that's worth.

Yeah, the group is. We can have an exciting debate about whether we
consider that to mean the bug status workflow page is no longer 'in
effect', but since it never had any enforcement mechanism or anything
it seems a tad pointless =) I just wanted to point out we did at least
formulate a policy for this at one time, and the policy isn't really
particularly tied to the Bugzappers group, it just happens to live
there.

There are a few other 'living pages' in the Bugzappers wiki space,
FWIW, though jkurik and I have talked a bit about moving the relevant
material somewhere else. Most obviously,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping/Trackers is
still valid and updated every cycle and the policy and process
documented there are current and active.

> > It is not in fact true that they "can be changed by anybody" (unless
> > the BZ config has been changed in the last few years and I missed it,
> > which is entirely possible). Only people with 'editbugs' privileges can
> > change them. Lots of people have 'editbugs' privileges one way or
> > another, though.

> Just checked, and while that's true, anyone can set the _initial_
> state, which is almost the same case.

Well, at least if you tend the states for your component's bugs, it
means not any old Marlon Rando[1] can change them back again. I'm not
sure whether a non-editbugs person who reports a bug can change the
statuses after filing.

When BZ was active we used to discuss this quite a bit, and there were
various ideas for tightening down the permissions, but it's restricted
by the fact that we share RHBZ with many other projects, and there was
also a general feeling that as so few maintainers seem to actually want
to use the statuses anyway, it wasn't really that important (though of
course there's a chicken/egg element there).

[1] https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/01/20/martin-randau
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey