Re: Unretire surf

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:53:39AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Seg, 2016-04-18 at 23:54 +0300, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> > > It's been a little over two hours since I started fedora-review and
> > > it seems I'm hitting these two bugs:
> > > * dnf repoquery --resolve is extremely slow #1279538
> > I already change priority and severity of #1279538 to urgent
> Just as a side note, I don't know anyone who actually uses or cares
> about these fields in Fedora land. IMHO you are much better off just
> explaining why the bug is important or what it blocks.

These fields are effectively useless because they can be changed by
anybody. Even leaving aside the cynical thought that most people would
put their own problems as top priority / worst severity, everyone has
their own sense of what the scale ought to mean. For example, to one
person, "extremely slow" might be top-tier, but to another, that should
be only used for data-loss issues. For some people, it's should mean
prioritizion of _all effort_; for other people, it might just be "of
all bugs in this single package, this is the most urgent currently".

This kind of prioritization only really works when everyone using it is
in alignment about... well, _priorities_.

Right now, our only real method for prioritizing bugs at the distro
level is the blocker and freeze exception process at release time.
It *would* be nice to have some _other_ general method, but no one has
put the time or effort into figuring out what one would be like (let
alone making or maintaining it).

So for now and the foreseeable future, the process for weeding out
issue urgency is: bring it to the devel list, and see where the
discussion goes.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>