Re: GNOME 3.19.92 megaupdate

On 15 March 2016 at 10:00, Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So lets say I am using Gnome 3.19.90. The 3.19.91 is released and you
> start build, which takes some time (12h? 24h? 2 days? Have no idea).

Building all the components in mclazy takes a couple of hours. The
issue is that not all GNOME modules release on the same day,
especially when we're early in the development cycle.

> 1) Minimalist solution is to announce that you are building new version
> of Gnome and breakage can be expected. I would happily wait for the
> announcement of rebuild done to be sure that I get the whole Gnome
> update at once.

We'd never know when we're waiting for new tarballs, projects don't
actually have to release a tarball on release day. Some are always
late, some never come at all... Delaying the automated building by a
week would be one solution, but late in the dev cycle where .91 -> .92
is two weeks this doesn't work so well.

> 2) Use side tag for Rawhide builds

I think that would be even more confusing for projects that are not
quite core GNOME, e.g. NetworkManager needing a new glib. We'd have to
get any project depending on the core GNOME stuff to also build in the
side tag for the duration of the delayed push, which we don't even
know how long would be for. If you want to manage this that's fine,
but for me I'd just stop building for rawhide as it's just too much
hassle. It's already a chore, and with the advent of xdg-app and the
coming push of the atomic image, rawhide isn't something GNOME
developers actually need. I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm just
saying that you can't solve a social problem with guidelines, and if
you make something that's already a chore a logistical and technical
nightmare (with people that shout at you when you get it wrong) then
nobody is going to bother.

> 3) Specify more precisely the dependencies between Gnome project, e.g.
> gnome-terminal-3.19.91-1.fc25.x86_64 has to work only with
> vte291-0.43.91-1.fc25.x86_64 and nothing else, because this is how they
> were tested

I'd hope upstream projects update the deps on things like
gsettings-desktop-schemas when new versions are required. It's
certainly what I do.

Richard.