Re: ZFS on linux

On 14/01/16 02:28 PM, Dave Love wrote:

>>> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is an organization founded by
>>> the University of California to do research and development for
>>> academic and government purposes. The US Department of Energy
>>> commissioned them to port ZFS to Linux quite a long time ago[0], which
>>> is the foundation of the current ZFS on Linux codebase.
>> and they build a large, genral purpose, linux distribution?
> Doubtless it doesn't count, but an old version of the LLNL HPC-oriented
> GNU/Linux distribution which incorporates ZFS is at
> <ftp://gdo-lc.ucllnl.org/pub/projects/chaos/5.1/SRPMS/>.  (I don't know
> if the RHEL7-derived one is published.)  There's another from a US lab
> that you may have heard of
> <http://ftp2.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6x/>.
>
> There is a distribution of Linux by a US corporation with CDDL modules
> <http://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/UEKR3/x86_64/index_src.html>
> for their general purpose GNU/Linux distribution.

Does Oracle include ZFS in their ISO by default? If so, it is asking for
trouble by violating GPL license mixing with an incompatible CDDL. Note
that Oracle owns ZFS and has the liberty to sue any large commercial
distribution. For that reason, it is not worth a legal risk.

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Graphic & Web Designer