Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 17.12.15 10:02, Colin Walters (walters@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015, at 08:28 AM, Neil Horman wrote:
> >
> > I would question why its necessecary to keep systemd out so ardently.  If you
> > build your container layers properly, you can effectively put systemd in a base
> > container and layer other applications in child containers that inherit from it.
>
> If one is doing "micro" containers that only have typically one process in them,
> having systemd managing it is unnecessary overhead.

Can you give realistic examples for these? Can you explain what you
are intend to run as PID 1 in them instead? What is cleaning up /tmp
for those things? What is setting up the tmpfiles bits in /run for
them, and so on?

The recommendation for docker containers is to only have one process, when it dies, the whole container stops, this is how to manage a cluster and know when something die.

Mustafa

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat