Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 10:43:32AM +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> For docker containers, or containers, which don't want systemd, the current
> "Requires: systemd" in a lot of packages is preventing building a minimal image.
>
> To improve the situation, we could make use of the new rpm weak dependencies.
> So the
>
> Requires(post): systemd
> Requires(preun): systemd
> Requires(postun): systemd
>
> would become
>
> Recommends: systemd
> OrderWithRequires(post): systemd
> OrderWithRequires(preun): systemd
> OrderWithRequires(postun): systemd
>
> With this in place, kickstart files could omit systemd.
>
> The downside is:
> - if systemd is installed afterwards, the %post scripts do not trigger
> - packages, which need systemd-tmpfiles or systemd-sysusers could not be converted
>
> If systemd is removed before the other packages, I don't see a problem.
> There are only leftovers in /etc/systemd.
>
> To prevent having a non-bootable system (not container), we could let the
> kernel.spec have a Requires on systemd.
>
> Comments? Please discuss.
> --

I would question why its necessecary to keep systemd out so ardently.  If you
build your container layers properly, you can effectively put systemd in a base
container and layer other applications in child containers that inherit from it.
One systemd installation can be used by 1000's of child containers, making the
overhead negligible.

Neil