Re: no systemd in containers: Requires -> Recommends

On Thu, December 17, 2015 8:08 am, Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> ardently.
>> If you
>> systemd
>> in a base
>> inherit from it.
>> >
>> > If one is doing "micro" containers that only have typically one
>> process
>> in them,
>> > having systemd managing it is unnecessary overhead.
>>
>> Can you give realistic examples for these? Can you explain what you
>> are intend to run as PID 1 in them instead? What is cleaning up /tmp
>> for those things? What is setting up the tmpfiles bits in /run for
>> them, and so on?
>>

> The recommendation for docker containers is to only have one process, when
> it dies, the whole container stops, this is how to manage a cluster and
> know when something die.

The larger point is that -- despite best efforts -- there are still
paradigms where the init process doesn't need to be heavy or complex in a
system. Lightweight zombie processing and perhaps dispatching telinit
signals to something else, if that.

Modularized into distinctly-installed packages or not, there's no need for
systemd in that environment when something smaller will do for PID 1.

-jc