Re: dnf versus yum

Dne 5.1.2014 22:25, Till Maas napsal(a):
On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 01:06:16PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html#dnf-erase-kernel-deletes-all-packages-called-kernel
Frankly, that's a dumb "feature" to have the package manager know
"magic" things about some names.  Why is it dumb?  Because some people
then depend on magic "features".  Is this "feature" even documented
anywhere?  I don't see it in the yum man page for example.
[...]
This is Unix; system programs are expected to "do what I say".  Don't
try to code "do what I mean" into it (because what you mean is probably
different from what I mean).

We've had kernel variant packages in the past, like kernel-smp and
kernel-PAE; are all variants supposed to be handled magically?  What if
there's a new variant?  Would not handling it in the package manager
magic be a release-blocker bug?
Kernel packages are special with yum, because multiple packages are
installed by default. With your argumentation 'dnf update kernel' should
remove the current kernel when a new kernel is installed. Is this really
what you expect and what dnf should do? Currently it installs a new
kernel without removing the old one as I know it from yum.

Regards
Till

As far as I know, yum supports installonly packages. While yum supports them, there is still used special hack for kernel. This hack should be removed in first place.

Otherwise, I totally agree with Chris and with DNF upstream. "dnf remove kernel" should remove every kernel and should not behave magically.

Vít