Re: Lack of response about sponsorship

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:23:22 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:

> [...] my idea was just that some kind of reminder if no-one
> takes the ball , however that is defined (comment from sponsor, assigned
> to sponsor, ...) within some time.

That wouldn't be helpful. There would only be a notification about
package submitters, who are inactive and wait for something to happen.
The sponsorship process requires _two_ parties to be active.

Working on the package during review often is much easier than working
on it during its later lifetime in the package collection.

> > It's always possible for the newcomer to ask for help on devel@ list.
> > Communicate!
> True. But I know newcomers for which sending a mail to this list is a
> major step you don't really are ready for at that point. Believe it or
> not, I was one of them.

That makes it harder to convince a sponsor:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group

All I can report here is that, regularly, new packagers follow those
instructions and are not too shy either to contact sponsors privately.

Basic things like posting to mailing-lists (at Fedora or upstream) and
opening tickets (at Fedora or upstream) may be prerequisites for getting
sponsored. It can happen that a newcomer needs to contact upstream already
during review. Sometimes submitters prefer dropping off.

There are also "Fedora Mentors" that could be consulted:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mentors#Packaging

> > If I search the Review Queue for your email address, I also find a
> > much older attempt at submitting a package in 2008, and even then there
> > has been quick feedback from a reviewer (after only five days). But
> > after a series of comments, it gets harder to understand what has
> > happened, and later you've not responded to the "ping" from a potential
> > sponsor ( https://bugzilla.redhat.com/471575 ).
> >
> > So, I think you're not fair.
>
> That package was actually a last attempt, which worked (thanks Petr!).
> That said, I havn't blamed anyone, just described my own feeling. How
> could that be unfair?

I think the sponsorship process has worked well for you in 2012 with very
quick sponsorship. It may have been different several years ago, but are
we talking about the process as it works nowadays or in 2008?

I also think it's too negative to refer to "a last attempt" without
examining the details of your first attempt in 2008 and an explanation of
what has happened there. I don't remember the size of the review queue in
2008. I don't know how many sponsors have been active in 2008. I don't
remember whether the Review Tracker Website has been active already. I don't
know whether you've tried to contact sponsors or whether you've asked the
reviewer whether he might recommend a sponsor? You've submitted a completely
different package in 2012.

Here's an interpretation of what may have happened in 2008: In ticket 471575
you've received feedback from a reviewer after five days. So far so good.
Several comments on the same day have been exchanged. There has not been
any updated pair of spec/src.rpm however. Just a spec, and that might have
interrupted the reviewers workflow. Many reviewers -- okay, some, but I
guess many others do it similarly -- return to review tickets based on
what happens in their related email folder. For example, they react to
incoming bugzilla mails where they see that the reviewer has posted an
updated package. They can mark such mails and delete other mails. That
way they don't need to revisit a growing number of tickets only to find
there has not been any activity. In this ticket, nothing has happened
anymore. It would have been an idea to ask the reviewer. Either with a
specific request in bugzilla or via email. That doesn't seem to have
happened. There has not been an update on contributed reviews. Silence.
In the same way, half a year later, a sponsor has joined and has even used
the NEEDINFO flag in the two tickets and ping'ed several times, but that
has not been responded to anymore. That has been a disappointing
experience also for the sponsor, especially if there are more submitters
who don't respond.
Oh, and I found a ticket from 2011 that has not been assigned to "Rawhide"
(all reviews are assigned to Rawhide), has been without the needsponsor
link initially and has been closed as a duplicate in less than two months.