Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Olav Vitters <olav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 03:13:28PM -0500, Billy Crook wrote:
>> I would love to see the day systemd is as polished, ubiquitous, and
>> robust as smtp.  But until that happens, nobody is helped by removing
>> MTA from the default install.  We're not there yet, and theres no
>
> systemd and SMTP are not related. This kind of argument is just stop
> energy.

No.  You are wrong.  When Sendmail is on the chopping block because
"let's just send anything that should get mailed, to systemd instead,
and let it pop up pretty graphical bubbles because nobody reads mail
anyways", the two are very much related in the context of this thread.

Clever as it was to frame the attempted deprecation of sendmail and
syslog as separate issues, I think most people can see right through
it.  I know I can.

systemd is great, but it's not a golden hammer, and its existence
doesn't render all other software obsolete.

I remain stunned to see this many people in this forum, so desperate
to get rid of them in the default install -- so eager to follow the
latest fad.

This is not the time to remove sendmail.  This is the time to use it
properly.  This is the time for it to get configured properly during
install.  Frankly after so many years of having to set it up by hand
on Fedora, I'm quite ready to see it in the default installer.  It
should always have been there.  It's absence in the installer is why
certain people perceive sendmail to not be useful.  I use it a good
dozen or so times a day NOT even counting cronjobs and automated
sending.  Having a local MTA on every machine enables deeper
asynchronous workflow on an organizational scale.

Sendmail or otherwise, an MTA BELONGS in Default.