Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Wed, 17.07.13 21:00, Ding Yi Chen (dchen@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > The release notes addition we suggested in the feature page tells you
> > what to do.
> >
> > The feature page also says we'll add /var/log/README explaining the
> > situation.
> >
> > It would be useful actually if you raised these points only after reading
> > the thread, because this has been discussed quite a few times already on
> > this thread.
>
> In theory, everyone should read the ChangeLog, RELEASE-NOTES, and manual on
> every thing he/she uses.
>
> In reality, well ...
> What's the percentage of your friend and family actually finish read
> all the document they supposed to read?

We actually stick the README in /var/log, i.e. where the admin looks for
the log files. We do not hide it in /usr/share/doc or so where nobody
looks.

> > If you never want any changes, then Fedora is simply not the
> > distribution for you. Slackware might be.
>
> I want sane changes that does not break my system.

Well, this won't "break" systems as the change is only for new
installations. Existing systems will stay exactly as they are, rsyslog
stays installed, and will work as always.

> > I am sorry, but this is not where Unix was unified, ever.
>
> Please update your knowledge, see:
>
> They have /var/log/messages, yes, it might be different with ours.
> But yes, they have that.

So, they store different stuff in it. The interesting stuff is mostly in
daemon.log on Debian. So with your suggested program you'd miss out all
the interesting bit son Debian. This stuff is certainly not standardized
on Unix systems...

> Innovation should not be the cost of reliability and portability.

This change touches neither. /var/log/messages already isn't standard in
whether it exists at all, and what it contains, so we certainly don't
make "portability" worse...

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.